Dec. 1 (UPI) — The demise of retired Zappos CEO Tony Hsieh final week that was linked to a Connecticut home fireplace has been dominated an accident.
The Connecticut Workplace of the Medical Examiner stated Hsieh, 46, was injured within the New London fireplace on Nov. 18 however wasn’t recognized publicly as a sufferer till he died Friday.
Hsieh was visiting household in Connecticut on the time of the fireplace, officers stated.
New London Police Capt. Brian Wright stated Hsieh was “locked inside a storage space” on the house and couldn’t escape.
The health worker stated Hsieh died from issues associated to smoke inhalation. The official investigation into the fireplace’s trigger has not but been accomplished.
Megan Fazio, a spokeswoman with the Hsieh’s Las Vegas-based DTP Firms, stated he’d been visiting Connecticut together with his brother. A Zappos worker owned the house the place the fireplace occurred.
New London Hearth Chief Thomas Curcio stated the reason for the fireplace continues to be unknown.
Hsieh joined ShoeSite.com, which later grew to become Zappos, in 1999 and oversaw the corporate by its buy by Amazon in 2009 for $1.2 billion. He retired in August.